Pruning shears are some of the most useful and effective gardening tools to help you bring your backyard farm or flower garden back into shape. Pruners are used to cut the rotten, deadheads, and damaged foliage from the plants.
In other words, pruning shears assist in trimming or cutting the parts of your plant that are hogging the resources that can be better put to use in other parts of the plant – making them a handy addition to any plant owner’s tool kit. With how much you’ll be using your pruning shears, you’ll want to select quality pruners for your garden.
Listed below are the best pruning shears that will make it easier to beautify your garden and help the plants grow under better conditions.
Our Favorite Pruning Shears
There is a lot of variety of plants in the garden in terms of size and species. With this in mind, there are heavy-duty pruners that can cut all way through 1-inch wood. While different types are best suited for small plants and saplings. Follow the list below to find the most ideal pruner for you.
- Fiskars 399241-1002 Micro-Tip Pruning Snips
- Professional 21V Cordless Electric Pruning Shears
- Fiskars Steel Bypass Pruning Shears
- GRÜNTEK Bypass Garden Pruning Shears F1 Blade
- GROWNEER 3-Pack Pruning Shear
- Felco Pruning Shears (F 310)
These small yet powerful pruners help build a clean and healthy garden. The blades are sharp enough to cut with precision, and the non-stick micro tip can reach the deepest lengths of the stem for perfect pruning. This set of pruners is integrated with a Trademarked Easy Action design that allows for more comfortable and fatigue-free handling.
More often than not, we find ourselves cutting the plant or the stem with lesser precision that leads to a deviated trim. With the Fiskar Micro-Tip Snips, you can delve into intricate cutting. This is without risking the snips jamming due to the resin build-up from trimming and cutting the sticky plants.
- Dimensions: 0.88 x 3.88 x 10.75 inches
- Weight: 0.48 ounces
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Warranty: Lifetime Warranty
- Sharp blessed protection with a non-stick coat for clean pruning.
- No sticky residue on the snips/
- Spring action handling protects the hand from excessive strain.
- Relative to the features offered, the price is higher.
Well, this is one of the most robust pruning tools that can even cut through 1.2 inches of wood. With a 600W of power at the back, pruning with this beast will be like cutting butter. The blades are made from carbon steel, they are sharp, rust-proof, and so shiny that you will be able to see your soul through them.
Don’t even worry about losing your momentum mid-work because these pruners can operate for up to 8 hours straight on a single charge. They look cool, have a non-slip handle, boast an ergonomic design, and most importantly, are built with finger protection.
- Dimensions: 11.02 x 4.49 x 2.52 inches
- Weight: 24 ounces Pruner Weight
- Battery Weight: 11.52 Battery Weight
- Battery Type: 2Ah Lithium Batteries
- Charge Time: 1.5 to 2 hours for a single battery
- Blade Material: SK5 High Carbon Steel
- Run Time: 4 hours on one battery and 8 hours on dual batteries
- Powerful, precision, accurate, and durable product.
- Comes with finger protection while operating.
- Has a lightweight casing with easy to handle and operation-friendly design.
- Operating it is difficult and may not be feasible for some users.
Fiskars has provided us with one of the best pruning shears for typical day to day use. This set of pruners is small yet packs a big punch with features and functionalities that make gardening more relaxed and fun. Design-wise it is super-friendly to handle and operate, not to mention the low-friction coating that removes any kind of resistance while pruning.
These pruners are fitted with a super strong blade that can easily cut through wooden sticks 5 to 8 inches thick. For better handling, the non-slip handles work their magic and allow you to work effortlessly with your new set of pruners. The blades have a low friction coating that allows gliding through the wood effortlessly.
- Dimensions: 4 x 1 x 10.75 inches
- Weight: 10.4 ounces
- Blade Material: High Carbon Steel
- Warranty: Lifetime
- Small-sized pruners with easy-grip to cut through wood sticks, plants, and stems.
- Reasonable Price.
- High Carbon steel blades are rust-free and shiny.
- It boasts a self-cleaning blade design that removes the sap.
- Splays apart while usage
- Ineffective lock mechanism
These Teflon coated high-performance pruning shears are perfect for your garden and aids with flower cutting, stem cutting, trimming, and many other functions. Working with such powerful blades made from Japanese quality SK5 steel provides precision cutting and grinding. The blades open up to a length of 18 mm that allows cutting through woods that are up to one inch in diameter.
The versatility of this pruner allows you to cut through various types of stems and plants without collecting the sap or resin. One of the key highlights is its opening mechanism which makes it energy-saving and fast cutting. More importantly, the locking mechanism can secure a branch firmly within the blade’s grip for transportation.
- Dimensions: 8.45 x 2.52 x 0.91 inches
- Weight: 9 ounces
- Blade Material: Japanese SK5 Steel
- Warranty or Guarantee: 90 Days Money Back Guarantee
- The robust metal lock secures the pruners in one position.
- It is built to handle heavy-weight pruning and higher functionality.
- The slip-resistant grip aids in successfully managing the gardening tasks.
- Even though it is easy to operate, the handle design puts a strain on the palms.
The snip-modeled pruning shears helps cut snips, twigs, and tiny foliage on the smaller plants. Due to its small and handy design, you can use it in a single hand and protect the tender stems and roots while intricate pruning. This fantastic set of Growneer pruning shears has a spring mechanism to automatically open. The ultimate benefit is that you get to work with sharp and high-performance blades.
Since the snips of this pruning shear are pretty sharp and pointy, anyone using them is susceptible to cuts. The Growneer pruners have a locking mechanism ensuring that the snips remain closed. All in all, this small-sized pruning equipment is good for any kind of herb, flower, indoor plant, hydroponic, or even a highly sensitive bonsai plants.
- Dimensions: 9.6 x 4.3 x 1.5 inches
- Weight: 9.6 ounces
- Material: Stainless steel blades
- Mechanism: Spring-loaded
- Precision blades made out of stainless steel.
- It has a lightweight design and lasts longer.
- The blades are easy to clean.
- The spring is not fastened enough to work efficiently.
The best thing about this pruning shear set is that they are very much handy and easy to use. You won’t have to adjust your grip, just hold them like you would with a pair of scissors and start trimming. Yes, the blades may have a small size, but they are sharp enough to cut, trim, and prune any kind of plant in your garden.
Your hand will fit perfectly on the pruners, and its ergonomic design allows working with additional comfort. The Felco pruning shears are also known for their high-grade performance and durability of the product. You can also cut small metal wires with this pair of pruners. The high-quality and premium pruners boast a screw mounted blade giving you sharp and precise cuts.
- Dimensions: 13.78 x 5.91 x 1.97 inches
- Weight:0.2 ounces
- Material: Hardened Steel
- Ultra-lightweight pruners that are apt for various gardening trimming activities.
- This pruning set is well balanced to afford a comfortable grip and precision cutting.
- The narrow and pointed anvil ending with the snips provides for easy cutting.
- Compared to its size and quality, the price is higher than other pruners.
That was all about the top best pruning shears that you could buy online. For the next part, it is essential to understand what aspects you should consider while buying your next pruning scissors.
Buyer’s Guide for Best Pruning Shears
Seeing the fact that there are a lot of variations from one pruner to another, how can you boil down to making a choice for a pruner that is suitable for your garden or backyard farm?
To help you choose the best pruners, we have prepared a buying guide containing the crucial information required to buy pruning shears. We will discuss the major types along with identifying the other features that can help you buy a high-performance pruner.
Type of Pruners
Majorly, there are two types of pruners that you can buy:
Bypass means that the two blades mounted on the handles will move past each other, giving you a clean and precise cut. Out of two blades, one is sharp and the other is blunt.
So, when the two ends push towards each other, the blunt side forces the twig, stem, or anything that you need to cut towards the sharp blade. The result, you will get a nice, and clean-cut with precision.
Anvil pruners resemble the working mechanism of a chopping board. On one side, there is a sharp blade that pushes against a more flat surface. Between both sides, you put the stem, twig, or branch.
Because they are heavier and boast a bulky design, these pruners are not easy to use in dense areas. Also, if you need to do some delicate work, it is better to not use anvil pruners as they are known to crush the stems rather than give a clean cut.
Is the handle ergonomic?
Trimming and pruning is delicate stuff. Sometimes you need to hold the pruners for an extended amount of time to get a precise cut. In this case, if the pruner handles are not conducive to your hand’s topography, then it may cause discomfort.
More often than not, you will find ergonomics written on almost every pruner. But, not all of these pruners have a hand-friendly design. To make a better choice, ensure that your next pruner has a curved design.
In some cases, you will also find rotatable handles that fit perfectly in your hand. These types of pruners are best when it comes to reducing the strain on your hand and reducing hand fatigue.
Pruning blades play an important role in identifying the quality and accuracy of the cut. Pruning blades are mostly made out of stainless steel. While you will also find carbon steel and teflon based blades.
A high-quality blade will be durable, stronger, and shinier. Also, some blades are coated with a non-stick substance. This helps in reducing the sap content that usually sticks to the blades while trimming stems.
Out of all these, the hardened and carbon steel blades have much better quality and output. So, go for these superior blades to get an amazing trimming experience.
Lock and Hold
Lastly, check what sort of locking mechanism is embedded into the pruners. Having a lock is safer as it protects your fingers and safeguards the blades when they are stored away.
Among all the locking mechanisms, the squeeze to open is the best option and most likely to help you work comfortably. This kind of locking mechanism will hold the pruners at a fixed place without having the handles lock again and again. This makes handling more difficult.
Even though the majority of pruners are inexpensive, that does not mean that you can dabble around with different options before choosing the ideal one. A good practice is to first list your requirements and then look for the pruners that can satisfy those needs.
Having the best pruning shears in your hands will undoubtedly make maintenance easier and help give your garden an appealing makeover.